Our mouths are filled with thousands of microscopic bacteria, and their number keeps increasing throughout the day. The best and simplest way to control the growth of microbes is by brushing and flossing the teeth at least twice a day. But, in some instances, no matter how well you brush and floss the teeth, microbes tend to get left behind in the hard-to-reach spots in the mouth, such as the rear surfaces of the teeth, the posterior teeth, etc.
The microbes could form a transparent layer of plaque on the teeth. Over time, plaque turns into a dark, sticky matter called tartar, which is one of the leading causes of cavities and gum diseases. Hence, it is crucial to get rid of the tartar deposits from the mouth to maintain a healthier oral cavity, which is best if done by a professional dentist.
Scaling is performed using a hand-held ultrasonic scaling device. It has a metal tip that vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies and helps to dislodge the tartar deposits. It is combined with a jet of water, which helps to wash off the removed microbial deposits. Root planing is performed using a hook-like scaling tip, which will be inserted in the gum pockets. But, before performing root planing, a local anesthesia may be administered to the patient as the tool would be inserted in the gap between the gums and the root surface, which would induce sharp pain.
In advanced root planing, a combination of ultrasonic instruments and hand-held scaler is used. Ultrasonic sound waves are used to kill the bacteria on the tartar layer. Next, the ultrasonic scaling device is used to remove the plaque and tartar.
Need for scaling and root planing
- Scaling and root planing are very effective when it comes to preventing gum-related diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis. Patients suffering from periodontal disease express a significant reduction of infection after getting these procedures done.
- They help protect the teeth and gums from chronic dental infections. When the infected gums are left unattended for a longer period, it could lead to bone and tooth loss.
- They ensure better gum health. Pain, soreness, inflammation, redness, and bleeding gums can be treated effectively using scaling and root planing.
- Root planing helps smoothen out the surface of the root. This allows the gums to firmly hold the teeth as any gap between them is eliminated. It also prevents the entry of bacteria into the gap, which prevents the formation of tartar on the roots.
- It improves the aesthetics of the gums and teeth. If the gums are in bad shape due to uneven root surface or any infection, they can be treated and brought back to shape. Also, scaling removes the stains and plaque that have accumulated on the surface of the teeth, making them look whiter.
- As the microbes are neutralized and removed, it would help reduce the bad breath as well.
If you have periodontal disease, Dr. Jason Cowden may recommend that you get a scaling and root planing treatment in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. This treatment is a safe, non-invasive way to improve your oral health. Schedule your appointment with our dentist at Cowden Family Dental by calling 505-867-3999.